Department News

Serious Motor vehicle accident on Middlesex Road today

Today at approximately 1 pm, a vehicle travelling Southbound on Middlesex Road in Tyngsborough struck another vehicle, which was travelling Northbound.  This accident occurred near the Chelmsford line at First Street.  Preliminary results of the investigation revealed that the vehicle travelling Southbound, a Chevrolet Silverado, crossed the centerline of the roadway striking a Kia Spectra head on. 

Tyngsborough Police and Fire Department personnel immediately responded and found that the occupants of the Kia were trapped in the vehicle.  Tyngsborough Fire Department personnel used the Jaws of Life to extricate a 54 yr. old female and 16 yr. old male from the vehicle.  Both occupants of this vehicle suffered from head injuries and broken bones, received medical assistance at the scene by Tyngsborough Fire, who then transported them both to Lowell General Hospital.   The 54 yr. old female was later transported to Tufts Medical Center with serious injuries. The occupants of the Silverado were able to walk away from their vehicle. The 35 yr. old female passenger suffered possible broken bones, as well as other minor injuries and was also treated at the scene by the Tyngsborough Fire Department.  The operator, a 35 yr. old male, complained of neck pain.  The occupants of the Silverado were transported to Lowell General Hospital by Trinity Ambulance.  Names of those involved are not being released at this time.

The 35 year old male operator of the Silverado was subsequently treated & released into the custody of the Tyngsborough Police Department.  He is being charged with the following;

  • OUI – Liquor & Serious Bodily Injury & Reckless Operation (90/24L/F)
  • OUI Liquor (90/24/J)
  • Marked Lanes Violation

The Massachusetts State Police Accident Reconstruction team responded to the scene and is assisting the Tyngsborough Police Department with this investigation.  The roadway was closed for approximately six (6) hours while the scene was processed.

Chief Richard D. Howe