Department News

Tyngsborough man serious injured after fall onto rocks

Press release

TYNGSBOROUGH — Chief Richard D. Howe reports that the Tyngsborough Police Department responded after an individual who fell onto rocks near an old quarry suffering serious injuries.

On Sunday, Aug. 23, at 12:43 a.m. Tyngsborough Police were dispatched to a quarry located in the area of Wilson Way for a report that an individual had fallen and could not be located. While en route, officers were notified that the person had been located and was unconscious after falling approximately 30 feet.

Upon arrival, responding officers were initially unable to locate the injured person and later learned that they had fallen from a ledge near the entrance to the quarry near Wilson Way. Officers located a friend of the injured individual, who took an officer by ATV to the location where he’d fallen. The victim, a 21-year-old Tyngsborough man was located on a path at the end of the cul de sac on Wilson Way.

Tyngsborough Police immediately began rendering aid to the victim, who had suffered serious head injuries. Westford paramedics and Tyngsborough Fire/EMS arrived to provide additional aid at the scene before transporting him via an off-road vehicle to an ambulance and then to a landing zone on Montana Drive, where a medical helicopter transported him to a Boston hospital with serious injuries.

Following an initial on-scene investigation, Tyngsborough Police learned that the victim and a group of friends were walking on the trails when the victim slipped on the edge of the trail and fell approximately 30 feet onto a rocky area.

Tyngsborough Police were supported by mutual aid responses from the Tyngsborough and Westford Fire Departments, as well as Groton and Dunstable Police.

“This was a challenging call to respond to given the difficulties posed by darkness and rough terrain, and I’m grateful for the outstanding work of our officers, Tyngsborough Fire and all those who responded from our partner agencies,” Chief Howe said. “I am also hopeful for the full recovery of the man injured in this incident.”